"A summer season that offers, both in and outside the city of Palermo, a carefully selected number of productions suitable for different audiences, as customary for our Theatre - open to different artistic and musical impulses, with no exceptions.”
Francesco Giambrone, General Manager.
On Friday, July 1st 2016, the Massimo’s Orchestra will take part in an interesting premiere in Florence, Piazza Santa Croce. The concert will be conducted by Placido Domingo and will feature the three young and beloved Italian singers, Il Volo.
July 7 2016, at 9.30pm in the atrium of Casa Professa Public Library, we’ll host the first of the four
“Remembering the future” (Ricordando il futuro) performances, inspired by Italo Calvino’s "Six Memos for the Next Millennium". Each evening, a brief lectio magistralis will introduce the concert.
Summerwhere continues with a Soirée dedicated to Rossini, discovering the Theatre’s whereabouts with our choir; moreover, enjoy suggestive concerts in the ancient Sicilian Theatres of Taormina and Segesta with international artists. Also in Taormina 16, 19 and 21 July, Desirée Rancatore will perform “Traviata”.
Download the programme
Remembering the future
7 July, at 9.30pm the concert Leggerezza-Mozart will be introduced by Emanuele Ferragina, Departmental Lecturer in Comparative Social Policy at the University of Oxford.
16 July, at 9.30pm Rapidità–Rossini, introduced by Radio3 director Mario Sinibaldi.
22 July, at 9.30pm Esattezza–Bach, introduced by mathematician Piergiorgio Odifreddi
27 July, at 9.30pm Visibilità- Brahms, introduced by the art historian Tomaso Montanari
8 and 9 July, at 9.30pm, the Teatro Massimo will host a unique musical tour, where Rossini’s music will be heard in different settings of the opera house. The audience will enjoy the unpredictable alternation of the Choir and the soloists of the Teatro Massimo in theatre’s halls. Conductor, Pietro Monti.
Touring the Open Air Theatres in Sicily
12 July, at 9.30pm, Teatro di Verdura in Palermo will host Toquinho in concert, also featuring Teatro Massimo Orchestra and Choir and the flugelhornist Vito Giordano, conducted by Aldo Brizzi.
The same production will be re-staged at the Ancient Greek Theatre in Taormina on July 17th for the “Anfiteatro Sicilia” cultural project, in collaboration with the Sicilian Tourism Department.
On July 13th, at the Greek Theatre of Segesta at 8.30pm the concert Almost Blue: the great Paolo Fresu on trumpet, Roberto Cipelli on piano, conductor Alberto Maniaci, Teatro Massimo Orchestra. They’ll perform the Adagio by Samuel Barber and a selection of Chet Baker’s works, from Quiet now to The voice of silence.
Also included in the“Anfiteatro Sicilia” cultural project, Traviata will be staged at the Ancient Greek Theatre in Taormina on July 16th, 19th and 21st.
On August 4th at 9.30pm, the Teatro Massimo Orchestra and Ballet will perform Waiting for Ravel– Bolero, a special evening with new coreographies specifically commissioned, culminating with Ravel’s Bolero.
Director Farhad Mahani, choreographies by Fabrizio Monteverde (resident Teatro Massimo choreographer for season 2016) Anna Manes, Valerio Longo, Diego Tortelli; music by Maurice Ravel, Gavin Bryars, Sergej Prokof’ev, Mauro Di Pietri, Johann Johannsson.
“The challenge was to involve and bring together Teatro Massimo Choir, Orchestra and Ballet in all our projects, expecially when we’ll host widelt renowned International artists”.
Oscar Pizzo, artistic director
See the gallery and discover the Summerwhere 2016 artists.
- Paolo Fresu. "Almost Blue", Wednesday 13 luglio, Teatro Greco of Segesta
- Toquinho concert, July Tuesday 12 luglio , Palermo - Teatro di Verdura. July Sunday 17, Taormina - Teatro Greco
- Roberto Cipelli, piano, at the Teatro Greco of Segesta in Almost Blue
- Alessandro Cadario, conductor. July Thursday 7, Atrio Biblioteca Comunale of Palermo
- Piergiorgio Odifreddi. "Esattezza - Bach", July Friday 22, Atrio Biblioteca Comunale of Palermo
- Desirée Rancatore, soprano. "Traviata", Teatro Greco of Taormina July 16, 19 e 21
- Giuseppe Altomare, baritone. "Traviata", Teatro Greco of Taormina July 16, 19 e 21
- Jordi Bernàcer, conductor of Traviata. Teatro Greco of Taormina, July 16, 19 and 21
- Stefan Pop, tenor. Traviata" Teatro Greco of Taormina July 16, 19, 21
- Ignazio Schifani, conductor. "Esattezza - Bach", July Friday 22, Atrio Biblioteca Comunale of Palermo
- Diego Dini Ciacci, conductor. "Rapidità - Rossini", July Saturday 16, Atrio Biblioteca Comunale of Palermo
- Marino Sinibaldi, "Rapidità - Rossini", July Saturday 16, Atrio Biblioteca Comunale of Palermo
- Victor Aviat, conductor. "Visibilità - Brahms", July Wednesday 27, Atrio Biblioteca Comunale of Palermo
- Tomaso Montanari. "Visibilità - Brahms", July Wednesday 27, Atrio Biblioteca Comunale of Palermo
- Emanuele Ferragina, journalist. "Leggerezza - Mozart", July Thursday 7, Atrio Biblioteca Comunale of Palermo